Soft and chewy gingerbread cookies are a classic holiday treat that is relatively simple to make. This recipe is perfect for families with young children because it has less sugar than traditional gingerbread recipes.
The dough can be mixed in one bowl, rolled out in parchment paper, and baked at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes. These delicious cookies will be gone in no time!
Gingerbread has been a holiday tradition for centuries. It is believed to have originated in Europe and was brought to America by European settlers who settled in the New World. The original gingerbread cakes were dense loaf cakes with dried fruit and spices added to them.
The term 'gingerbread' comes from the Middle English word "gyngebred" and from Old French gingembras, gingimbrat which means (“preserved ginger”). Gingerbread cookies are one of the most popular forms of this traditional treat during the holidays.
These soft and chewy gingerbread cookies are perfect for families with young children because they have less sugar than traditional recipes.
This recipe is simple enough that even beginners can make these delicious cookies without any trouble at all.
Gingerbread is often enjoyed with sweetened cream or ice cream and can be made into a delicious pudding as well. A classic gingerbread house also makes an appearance every holiday season for families to make together.
These cookies make better presents than homemade jam because they are perfect for giving to friends and neighbors.
What WE LOVE about these Gingerbread Cookies
What we love most about these cookies is that:
- They are not too sweet and have a lovely, spicy flavor.
- They're so easy to make!
- The recipe is gluten-free and vegan, so it's perfect for people with dietary restrictions.
- There are a lot of variations on the recipe - you can add chocolate chips or nuts.
- You don't need any fancy ingredients - just sugar, flour, molasses, ginger root, and baking soda.
- These cookies aren't too sweet like some other cookie recipes out there. (perfect if you're not a huge fan of sugary desserts)
- It only takes about 20 minutes to make them from start to finish!
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Tablespoon ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a bowl, mix together butter, sugar, and egg until creamy. Add in molasses and stir until well-combined. Sift in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and ginger; blend until all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Cut parchment paper into four equal squares (for large cookies) or eight equal squares (for small cookies). Place dough on parchment paper and top with another piece of parchment paper. Roll out until the dough is 1/4 inch thick. Remove the top sheet of parchment paper. Using a cookie cutter, cut out different shapes for your gingerbread cookies. Peel away excess dough from around each shape and place it on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned. Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy! These cookies will be gone in no time!
As you can see, these gingerbread cookies are very easy to make and are perfect for families with young children. They have a lovely, spicy flavor and are not too sweet. They are also gluten-free and can be adapted to any dietary needs.
So go ahead and give them a try! You won't be disappointed!
Thank you for reading! We hope you enjoy these delicious gingerbread cookies!